[EuroPython] Proposal: Keynote speakers for EP 2008

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Wed Mar 26 12:27:15 CET 2008

In a message of Wed, 26 Mar 2008 12:14:58 +0100, Steve Alexander writes:
>I want to propose two keynote speakers for EuroPython this year.  Let me
>know what you think of this.
>
>The first is Karl Fogel, author of the Red Bean book on Subversion.  His
>web site and weblog is at http://rants.org/
>
>Karl's current passion is copyright reform, so I propose inviting him to
>give a keynote at EuroPython about what's up with copyright, and what we
>can do about it.
>

>The second is Van Lindberg.  Van is a Python programmer and also a
>lawyer at a US law firm.  He gave a keynote at PyCon this month, also
>about copyright, showing how it works, what it's for, its history and
>its problems.
>
>-- Steve

One of the greatest problems we face in Europe is overexposure to the
USA version of copyright.  People here believe that the law, history,
and whatnot is the same as in the USA, when it is not.

Through FFII I have many splendid connections with Europeans who are
working on copyright reform both Europe wide and in their own countries --
in the Netherlands in particular things are getting very interesting
right now -- so if this is a topic we would like to persue, I think
it would work better as a panel discussion with experts from all over.
Having helped host 2 conferences discussing how to make reforms in
patents trademarks and copyrights in the last 16 months, I know
where to round up the usual suspects.

Laura