[EuroPython] recording Europython

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 17:00:41 CET 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Christian Scholz <cs at comlounge.net> wrote:
>  Well, that's not completely true. First of all the recording at
>  EuroPython 2007 was my own decision to do and thus completely
>  voluntarily and there even appeared most of the talks I recorded at
>  http://comlounge.tv

Oh, OK, then I misrembembered, I thought there was some more people.
So it was only the Plone Cnference recordings that gone missing (yours
of course didn't, but the official ones).

>  In the case of capturing and rendering those computers used for it are
>  usually taken by this so you cannot really do much in parallel unless
>  you have lots of computers.

Which is why they asked to borrow peoples laptops here at PyCon. :)

>  What I learned from previous conferences was that a somewhat different
>  workflow might work better in which you do as much as you can on
>  location, including publishing it. This can work as follows:
>
>  - put a camera with tripod in every room you want to capture
>  - attach it to a laptop/computer
>  - stream it live via http://ustream.tv or similar services.
>  - record it on the service
>  - copy the embed code over to some blog or wiki or website.

Yes, exactly! This is not going to get the good uality with
synchronized slides and stuff, but you don't need that. It's cool, but
a straight recording of not amazing quality is better than no
recording.

>  - a wireless microphone or some connection to an existing microphone to
>  get better sound (that's problem number one usually, getting not the
>  typing around you but the speaker's voice on tape)
>  - good lighting. The speaker should always be in good light and we
>  should notice light from windows in front earlier (like it was at
>  Simon's keynote last year, was hard to film).

Somebody that has a second mic to catch the questions at the end is a
really good thing as well. That also improves the experience at the
conference as well.

http://www.colliberty.com/
+33 661 58 14 64