[EuroPython] [Europython-improve] getting to the conference site

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Mon Jun 2 17:27:14 CEST 2008

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 04:55:45PM +0200, Paul Boddie wrote:
> On Saturday 31 May 2008 15:20:04 Laura Creighton wrote:
> > I don't find a section about 'how to get from the trainstation
> > or the airport to the conference venue'.  Are we missing this?
>
> Yes. I'd like to know what the locals recommend and what people found out last
> year. The taxi ride from the airport was "exciting", but I heard that the bus
> is actually quite convenient. Anyone?

I don't know about excitement, but I've heard that the taxis tend to
overcharge a lot.  There's a big stand showing the official prices next
to the taxi stop, but it is a few meters to the side from the exit, and
people usually don't notice it.

    Once I was feeling rather ill, didn't care about the price, and went
    straight to a waiting taxi at the airport.  The driver warned me
    that it will be very expensive, no really very expensive, and almost
    insisted that I should instead call a taxi on my cellphone.  So
    that's what I did.

Here's what the airport has to say:
http://www.vilnius-airport.lt/en/airport_guide/communication/index.php

Here's a site for looking up bus routes in Vilnius:
http://www.marsrutai.info/vilnius/?a=p.routes&transport_id=search&t=xhtml&l=en

The bus stop at the airport is called "Oro uostas", the bus stop closest
to the Reval Hotel is "Europos aikštė" ("Europos aikste" works too).
There's a direct bus going between them (bus number 2), but sadly the
AJAX-y site has no bookmarkable URLs to show the route.  There are
between 2 and 4 buses per hour, so expect a 20/30-minute wait:
http://www.marsrutai.info/vilnius/?a=p.frameset&schedule_id=248&t=xhtml&l=en

There are ATMs in the arrival's hall of the airport for getting local
currency (litas), and there's a newsstand that sells bus tickets
(1.10 Lt for a single ticket).  You can also buy tickets directly on the
bus, but the price is higher (1.40 Lt).

    There are also 1 day, 3 day, and 10 day tickets, costing 6, 14 and
    27 Lt respectively.  There are only four places in the city where
    you can get buy them, and the airport is not one of them.  For
    reference, this page tells you where you can get them, but it is
    only available in Lithuanian:
    http://www.vilniustransport.lt/lt/pages/view/?id=53

Marius Gedminas
--
1 4m 5o 3l337! just got r00t on this <a href="127.0.0.1">k3wl site</a> j00
sux0r5!