[EuroPython] Talk lengths

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sat Apr 12 00:59:47 CEST 2008

On 2008-04-01 23:12, Dinu Gherman wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg:
>
>> The comments on talk length are interesting... 30 minutes were
>> considered too short. I found 30 minutes a bit short as well
>> last time I did a talk in Vilnius. If you want to have discussions
>> and more time switching between talks, then 45 minutes are a lot
>> better, IMHO: 30 minutes talk, 10 minutes discussion, 5 minutes break
>> and switching.
>>
>> What do others think ?
>

> I assume, the average speaker likes to give longer talks and the
> average listener likes to consume shorter talks - a least for
> average talks.
>
> If you need prove that exceptional talks can be less than 20 min-
> utes have a look at ted.com, maybe starting here:
>
>    http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/92  (Hans Rosling)
>    http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/140 (Hans Rosling)
>    http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/229 (Jill Bolte Taylor)
>    http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/237 (Clifford Stoll)
>
> Thanks to Laura for pointing me to Hans Rosling's videos.

Thanks, I like those TED talks as well, but their scope is different.

If you stick to the 30/60 schedule, please at least tell the speakers
(and the track managers) to leave 5 minutes at the end for switching.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Apr 12 2008)