[EuroPython] website hosting / moving forward...

Jean-Marc Orliaguet jmo at ita.chalmers.se
Wed Mar 7 10:35:25 CET 2007

Nicolas Pettiaux wrote:
> 2007/3/7, Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk>:
>

>> This is a generous offer,
>>

> thanks indeed
>

>> and I'll leave it to the official organisers to
>> decide whether a switch to Plone and to such an environment is desirable.
>>

> yes.
>

>> However, I stand by what I wrote before about having the site ready very soon
>> - such a switch may be a delaying factor, and I don't really think we have
>> very long before the visibility of the conference has to be increased, talk
>> submissions solicited, and so on.
>>

> I completely agree with Paul. We need to have a visible website with
> comptemporary content asap.
>
> Maybe my previous posts were not clear. I restate them.
>
> I proposed a switch to Plone *some time ago* because I wanted the same
> as Paul, but I considered that I could not work in CPS (even with a
> login, I could hardly find my way in the editing pages, do any actual
> editing and realize there how the pages that I edit would look like).
> So, *for me*, CPS was more a blocking point. And furthermore, I
> consider that advertizing CPS as we do now on EP makes little sense.
> But this is not important *now*.
>
> If Paul knows CPS and can help, and can put the content, perhaps help
> me a little to get to understand how to work (only the basics) with
> CPS, and we can have rapidly a working site for EP2007, then let's go
> now with CPS.
>
> I would suggest that we keep somewhere a copy of the EP2006 site as it
> was, as a reference and archive of the previous editions.
>
> For now on, I'll keep on working in the wiki, and try to work if I can
> and find the time, also in the site that Paull will be working on.

But, if you need help just ask. I think you gave up too quickly on the
existing site and focused instead on promoting plone, while expecting
others to do the job for you.
Honestly, I think that redoing the entire site is more complicated than
learning how to get started with using CPS.

I won't be able to spend too much time with the site this year, but we
are talking about updating and republishing existing documents right
now, not about writing code in python for CPS, maybe changing the
banners, that's easy.

As far as CPS goes, it is still officially supported for 2-3 years to
come. Since no new features are being added and only bugs are being
fixed, it is really getting more and more stable, so apart from the "PR"
problem you are facing, I don't see a problem really with the current
solution.

when it comes to ZEO, I'm not sure why it matters at all.

/JM