[EuroPython] Future of EuroPython discussions

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Jul 27 01:45:11 CEST 2007

It seems like so long ago already, but I'd like to thank everyone involved in
EuroPython 2007, not only those who put a lot of work into organising things,
but of course everyone who attended the conference and provided us with many
interesting talks and discussions on a range of subjects. I'd also like to
thank those who offered suggestions and advice about making EuroPython 2008
even better, both inside the session reserved for that purpose as well as in
informal conversations during and after the main event. Having just returned
from another, much larger and more commercial conference, I'm in the mood for
reflecting somewhat on conferences and what makes (or should make) EuroPython
as special as it has been in the years I've been there.

In the run-up to EuroPython, the issue of attendance came up a few times: how
many people would we get, and would it be as many as last year? I don't think
I'm sharing secret information by saying that there were probably around
220-230 people in attendance this year, versus 280-300 people last year.
However, I don't think we should regard this as a sign of defeat or decline
for the Python community, since there are more conferences this year,
including a number of successful regional Python conferences in Europe (PyCon
Italia apparently being well-attended and PyCon UK looking very promising at
this stage). Moreover, even at the larger size EuroPython remains an event on
a "human" scale, in contrast to the conference from which I have just
returned which had 2000 attendees and where you often couldn't find anyone
you knew in the breaks because there were probably three or four venues for
coffee or lunch! A certain Web technology community supposedly had a 1600
person event this year, and I imagine that Java events routinely surpass
that. On such scales, the organisers can certainly brag a lot more and bring
in many corporate delegates, but such an agenda for the Python conferences
would destroy the genuine community aspects of them - the attendance fee
might not be the biggest cost at EuroPython now, but these megaconferences
with a ticket price of 600 EUR or more certainly don't seem compatible with
EuroPython to me. So, although one can look with envy at PyCon's 580 person
level of attendance, I think it's actually something to be worried about as
an organiser.

One thing that was said quite a bit in conversations is that Vilnius is a
really nice venue - something which might not have been fully appreciated by
those putting together their conference travel plans earlier in the year, but
which is surely communicated by the many photos made available by various
participants. As has already been mentioned, it would be nice to have people
license their photos appropriately so that we can show off the venue a bit
more in the promotional channels for the conference. All these Python people
who have now been to Vilnius can use their materials help persuade others to
join them for EuroPython 2008. ;-) In a wider sense of promoting EuroPython
and related events, perhaps we should consider making better use of
europython.org to show people what happened in previous conferences in order
to generate enthusiasm for those which are to come. The message for anyone
who wants to see a better EuroPython site, even to come up with fancy ideas
and implementations, is that the time is now to start such work, well before
the next conference and with enough time to play with to find out what works
and what doesn't.

On a related topic with some technological content, I'd like to see a longer
registration period and I'm sure we'd all like more of the menial tasks taken
care of by the technology. The first point is related to a suspicion that I
had which was confirmed in conversation after the conference: insiders may be
very confident that everything is going according to plan and that we all
might as well book our flights and hotels, but there's nothing more
reassuring that being able to book your place at the conference well in
advance, rather than running the risk that after booking travel and
accommodation, the conference is suddenly full. As for the technology, and
having been "Indico's reluctant bodyguard", I think that everyone whose
workload could have been reduced by the technology needs to consider
improvements and replacements well in advance of next year, too. And since
ultimately humans are really responsible for the organisation (as Jacob's
long list of jobs showed), we need to think about who does what and how they
do it. We must not forget the end-users, either: having recently seen some of
the verbose output from commercial conference organisers, we need to give
participants concise information about their conference agenda/experience.

Before the conference, I started a Wiki page about improvements to how
EuroPython is organised:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/EuroPython/2007/SuggestionBox

I don't recall whether Jacob's list made it to the wider Internet, but the two
are somewhat complementary. The "Call For Organisers" has really already
happened, I suppose, but it would be great if through this mailing list and
via the above page we can get a good idea of how we can make EuroPython and
related events more attractive and accessible to the community in such a way
that we have enough time to act on our intentions.

I almost can't wait until next year's conference, but I look forward to
hearing some opinions about the future of EuroPython now. ;-)

Paul

P.S. And if presenters could work their magic with Indico and upload their
slides, we can make a start on communicating what happened in Vilnius with
the wider community.