[EuroPython] Booking rooms - important! (was Re: Paying for the conference)

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon May 22 19:19:42 CEST 2006

On Monday 22 May 2006 18:34, Aiste Kesminaite wrote:
> > My impression was that if you selected the CERN Hostel in the
> > registration form, the registration would be forwarded on - otherwise,
> > what's the idea with the indicator of how many places are left? If I'm
> > wrong, then I guess I'll be chasing up my own reservations, but in any
> > case this would explain why the hostel staff aren't replying to mails:
> > they've been deluged with people trying to make a booking via e-mail,
> > possibly when those people don't actually need to do so.
>
> Um... I got very prompt replies and successfully booked a room...

Well, I had a conversation with the hostel and clarified the following points:

* The conference did reserve a block of rooms, but there isn't any
  kind of "integration" between conference registration and room
  booking (that they know of). That counter saying that there are 2
  places left is probably just saying that n-2 people have expressed
  their intention to stay in the hostel.

* If you want to stay in the hostel, you need to actually send a mail
  (cern.hostel at cern.ch) saying that you're part of the EuroPython
  conference and that you want to book a room. Indicate your arrival
  and departure dates, and it probably helps to say if you're arriving
  after the hostel reception has closed.

* Outside the conference block of rooms, I believe they're totally
  booked up.

* Most people attending the conference have booked rooms from 2nd July
  to 6th July. Thus, there's more availability in the period afterwards
  - useful to know if you're intensively sprinting, or something.

It's a shame that some of this isn't totally explicit on the registration
form, but I've managed to make a booking in the last few minutes, confirming
that it can be done.

Paul

P.S. About CERN rates in local hotels, you apparently need some kind of
official letter from your university or institution saying that you are
visiting CERN as proof that you qualify for special rates. Apparently, the
housing service don't get mixed up with writing to (or otherwise
communicating with) hotels on such matters.