[EuroPython] #europython minutes 23rd January 2006

Paul Everitt paul at zope-europe.org
Mon Jan 23 18:44:50 CET 2006

On Jan 23, 2006, at 6:19 PM, holger krekel wrote:

> * Discussion about "Zope" track
>
>   Paul suggests to go for a "Web Frameworks Track" instead
>   of limiting it to Zope.  He thinks that this should
>   help to get more cross-pollination going within the
>   python web framework communities.  There would likely
>   be a quota on Zope talks then.  The ideas were welcomed
>   by the attendees and will likely be followed up
>   on the mailing list and on the upcoming track chair
>   meeting.

To add some more background on this point, Zope would like to be less
of an island in the Python community.  I think Zope has much to
offer, especially in Zope 3, where interesting parts can be used in
isolation.  I also think Zope has lots to gain from Python and other
Python web frameworks.  There's tons of exciting stuff going on in
the Python web frameworks space.

Finally, I think Python itself is facing strong competition in Python
web frameworks.  We (the Python web frameworks) should recognize this
and work together more to tell a better story.

Having a Zope mini-event inside the EuroPython main event has worked
well for a number years.  I think times have changed, though, and we
should all hang out together and listen to what the others have to
offer.

--Paul