[EuroPython] What the heck does "pythonic" mean?

Dario Lopez-Kästen dario at ita.chalmers.se
Wed Apr 13 00:41:16 CEST 2005

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Others already pointed you to 'import this'.

I think I am very thickheaded - I don't get the 'import this' thing.
sorry :-)

> "Pythonic" is vague, but not necessarily that much more vague than words
> like "intelligence" or "life", which, when you try to actually define
> them, tend to be slippery.
>
> Over time, a lot of idioms and ideas arose in the Python community about
> what the right way to use Python is, and also what would be a wrong way.
> Idioms frequently cannot be ported straight from another language, as
> they look odd or cumbersome. Frameworks should also not get in the way
> of writing Python code.

So, I re-read Magnus' mail and looked again at the links he offered.
After reading your mail I think I understand what "pythonic" is and why
I had a hard time understanding the term from the begining.

I believe, if I understand you correctly, that something is Pythonic
when it has a sense of quality, simplicity, clarity and elegance about it.

This is of course not only limited to python, but I get the point that
i.e. Zope does not always fit the shoe, at least not from some perspectives.

I guess this is true of all things; in fact I know it is - "pythonicity"
is a pattern or sorts, or an attitude perhaps, and I guess we all use it
and judge things by it in one way or another.

Wether or not you view something as being pythonic or not will, like
Martinj in a way suggested, depend on the particular point of view you
have or take.

Thanks Magnus and Martinj.

Sincerely,

/dario

"...and click? damn, I need to kill -9 Word again..." - b using macosx