[EuroPython] Re: Accepted talks on Europython ( Zope-track )

Stefane Fermigier sf at nuxeo.com
Sun May 9 18:04:38 EDT 2004

Heimo Laukkanen wrote:
| On Sun, 09 May 2004 22:16:25 +0200, Stefane Fermigier <sf at nuxeo.com> wrote:
|
| Stefane Fermigier contacted me about not accepted talks and had his
| opinion on if my calls were fair.
|
| I'm sending this also to europython-list to make sure that people
| understand basis for my decisions as the track chair - and if there are
| a  lot of different opinions, we can open discussion on how to develope
| the  acceptance process to be something that would make the conference
| better.
|
|> | Not accepted talks were:
|> | ------------------------
|> | ArchGenXML: model driven content type development in a few minutes
|> | CPS Schemas and Directories
|> | Creating PDF Templates with RML in Zope
|> | Dynamic graphical menu generation using icoya ButtonMagick
|> | Extended XLink Website with Parsed XML
|> | Flexible website menu generation with CMFMenuFolder
|> | Proxies, workflows and events within CPS3
|> | Python on a Java platform: High-Performance Text Indexing with Lucene
|> | union.cms: a new mix
|>
|> I find a bit strange that 2 talks (60 minutes each!) were accepted about
|> Archetype but none about CPSSchemas.
|>
|> Same for the balance between Plone and CPS.
|>
|> This is unfair, IMHO.
|

| Yes, you can say that it is unfair and I do understand your view.
|
| However I wish you understand that I make the calls based on perception
| on  what people want to see and hear, and what will be good for the
| conference. This is not yet a democratic process - though it would be
| an  interesting idea to have a slot where talks would be selected based
| on how  registered participants ( mainly earlybirds ) vote.
|
| Yes there are two 60 minute Archetypes talks since that project is very
| popular, interesting and at the same time also filled with questions.
| To  have the possibility to get the main architect and person who has
| contributed a lot of new features to the HEAD to do talks is about
| creating good conference program, not about being unfair.
|
| Looking at Zope track there are four talks that mention Plone in their
| subject:
|
| Ship intranet applications with Plone
| Past, present and future of Plone.
| Link management in Zope/Plone.
| Organizing Zope and Plone.
|
| Two of those talks are not Plone-specific ( link management and
| Organizing  zope & plone ) - but have something also relating to Plone.
| Christian  Theune's talk about link management in Zope/Plone - will
| cover issues of  threading etc. that they had to solve during
| development of  CMFLinkChecker. And naturally Paul will be spinning some
| organisational  opensource magic into the crowd - and use Plone as an
| example.
|
| At the same time there are also three CPS-specific talks:
|
| PyPackage.org and the EDOS project

As I have told you and Martijn, this talk is only very remotely related to Zope
and CPS, and it should go in the testing/qa track. But if there is no other
option, I'd much rather keep it for another conference and leave some room to
Florent and Julien who have more interesting things to tell.

	S.

- --
Stéfane Fermigier, Tel: +33 (0)6 63 04 12 77 (mobile).
Nuxeo Collaborative Portal Server: http://www.nuxeo.com/cps
Gestion de contenu web / portail collaboratif / groupware / open source!