[EuroPython] Next IRC Meeting 2004-02-23 1880 CET

Steve Alexander steve at z3u.com
Tue Feb 17 05:27:47 EST 2004

> > 	- Security... do we need any?
>
> I wouldn't have thought more than they would have anyway, but this
> question is definitely out of my experience...

A good friend of mine works in setting international standards (iso9000,
iso14000 etc.)

At one conference in the UK that was being attanded by casually dressed
people and people in suits, a large number of laptops were stolen
(including that of my friend) by a group of people who dressed and acted
to fit in with the crowd, and casually walked off with laptops and
laptop bags while people were distracted having interesting
conversations with their colleagues.

There was security at this conference, but it didn't help because they
weren't alert enough to what was going on, and they didn't rigorously
check the identity of people attending the conference as they entered
and exited. I think the security team were more on the lookout for
thugs and uncouth drunkards, or something like that.

So, if we get some sort of security team, it needs to be doing things
that actually help with the kinds of risks such conferences have.

Then again, people should hold on tightly to their valuable posessions,
and I'd rather not go to a conference that feels like a police state.

--
Steve Alexander