Re: [EuroPython] Göteborg proposal, draft

Magnus Lyckå magnus at thinkware.se
Wed Aug 13 01:54:51 EDT 2003

At 20:27 2003-08-12 +0200, Paul Everitt wrote:
>I'm afraid I can't really vote with much confidence on a "should be" piece
>of data for such a critical matter.

Well, if the organizer promise to hold the conference at a
fee which isn't higher than the previous one, and offer at
least the same standard, that's really all we need to know. :)

Perhaps Jacob can explain what his plan is regarding finance.
Obviously, conference fees are supposed to pay for the event,
but will enough of the fees arrive in time to pay the bills
when they are due, and what happens if there is a deficit?

Actually, we haven't heard anything about the CEME costs as
far as I know, although I suppose we can expect about the same
fee and the same content as last year. Right?

For Chalmers, Dario presented a budget a month ago for a similar
(but smaller, ~140 people) event at Chalmers. As I remember, it
costed slightly more per person, but included warm lunches every
day and one dinner, and the speakers didn't pay for food. See
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/europython/2003-July/003381.html
If it scales proportionally, the cost seems close to Charleroi.

Would it be possible to get some kind of estimate from Chalmers
with very short notice? I guess we can assume 300-400 people,
so we need larger rooms than Dario proposed. I'm not at all sure
that we need fancier lunches than we had though. The lunch at
CEME was certainly more than what you would expect when you hear
"a sandwich" though... (At least the vegetarians were very happy!)

For those who'd like to look at the possible rooms at Chalmers,
there is a map here: http://www.chalmers.se/HyperText/Kartor.html :)

Something that I noticed, is that the largest lecture halls at
Chalmers are about the same size as the CEME Auditorium. How do
we handle events everybody wants to follow (like Guido's keynote)
if we get something like 400 people present? Would 40% sit in
other rooms and see Guido on the projection screen? Then it gets
a bit more complicated for people to ask questions etc, but if we
film Guido in one room, I guess we could film the audience in the
other room and project that behind Guido! :)

Magnus Lycka (It's really Lyckå), magnus at thinkware.se
Thinkware AB, Sweden, www.thinkware.se
I code Python ~ The Agile Programming Language