[EuroPython] Comments on discussion and vote proposal

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Aug 11 15:05:21 EDT 2003

Magnus Lyckå <magnus at thinkware.se> writes:

> At 11:40 2003-08-11 +0100, Michael Hudson wrote:
>> > I propose that the 9 (?) track chairmen from last EPC get to vote and that
>> > they make the decision by simple majority.
>>
>>This seems reasonable to me.
>
> Me too, but I'm a bit puzzled by the grave silence on this
> list.

Me too.

> If it means that people are still on vacation and not reading their
> mail, we might have a lot of surprised people in some time...

True.  But there seemed to be wide agreement for an Aug 15 deadline,
which is fast approaching.

> If there is a consensus that these nine can decide, I guess
> it's up to them to ask for the information they feel that
> they need to make up their minds.

I'm not sure how we gauge consensus other than "post the idea to this
list and see if anyone yelps".

>>How do we hold the vote?  A simple approach would be for everyone on
>>the above list to email me their preference and me to email the votes
>>to the voters and the results to this list.  Or someone else can take
>>this role
>
> Fine with me. Are you referring to both votes now? Location
> and organizational form?

Ah.  I was just thinking about the location.  I think whoever ends up
being the local organizers should have input into the organization, as
they're the ones who'll have to deal with it most.  I got the
impression that if the con ended up in Charleroi again that Aragne
were prepared to take the financial burden again (I may have been
mistaken here).  If the Göteborg crowd are prepared to set up an
organization that could do so for many years to come, that's
wonderful, but it's a bonus.

> For location, I guess it's clear that you have two options:
> Charleroi and Göteborg. Voting about this seems simple enough,
> and I guess it's the most pressing issue.

That's the way it seems to me.

> For EPC organization, we've heard several different suggestions,
> from "do nothing" via PBF SIG to several types of legal bodies.
> Of course, if a majority of the nine chosen ones agree on one of
> the proposed alternatives, it's all fine, but if not, I guess you
> need to make the decision making process a bit more sophisticated...

Hmm, you're right.  What do other people think?  Prod, prod.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them
  the usual way.  This happens to us all the time with computers,