[EuroPython] Exhbit Space

Andy Robinson andy@reportlab.com
Tue, 7 May 2002 20:20:48 +0100

> Since this is a computer conference, we really do need both power
> and internet access, even if that costs more.

It is not just the cost, it is the work. This
stuff must be locally organised which means it
is bound to fall on poor Denis.

At the ACCU conference there was no internet access.
(Actually there was one direct phone line, but we were
under orders not to tel anyone or there would have been
50 people checking email).  It worked fine; people talked
to each other instead of hacking.  And we did not even
have Belgian beer to inspire our conversations :-)

> I think security is also important, at the very least we should
> be able to attach the computers to the table with a bicycle chain
> lock.   Being under the
> hostess watchful eye would be even better, even if it did cost
> some extra money.

There's 'practical' security meaning your hardware is 99%
unlikely to go for a walk, and 'contractual' meaning the
organisers pay if it does, so they need insurance, so
the insurers impose lots of conditions etc. etc.  Practical
we can arrange ourselves - contractual adds to costs
and the workload.  I think anyone bringing hardware
should accept it is at their own risk.  Then, if there
are four or five stands, they can make a rota among
themselves so things are covered.

> A final point, it would be good to have a deadline for sign ups
> for booths, so
> that we could make a go no-go decision early on, so that you
> would know for sure
> how many companies would be there.

Good point.  Sell them online for Eu 100 before 1st June,
then put the price up to 150 :-)

Best regards,

Andy