[EuroPython] Budget team

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 06 May 2002 16:33:21 +0200

Laura Creighton wrote:

> > M.-A. Lemburg:
> > 5 booths at EUR 200 each would probably generate around EUR 900
> > of net income -- the same as 5 paying attendees... it's
> > probably easier to another 5 visitors than to put much work
> > into getting companies to pay for booths :-/
>
> That is my analysis also.  However, I find the possibility of getting
> hackers to pay for X number of internet connections in a room so that
> they can download the stuff they forgot at home onto their laptops and
> have spontaneous collaborations much more likely.  Ditto with a
> public-use laser printer.

Sorry, but you lost me there :-) What does setting up internet
connections have to do with setting up booths ?

The more we head towards the event, the more I get the feeling
that we should have contracted a professional conference
organizer for this. There's so much work to do and so little
active work input from volunteers that the conference is
likely to head into chaos. I just want to make sure that we're
not stearing into financial chaos as well.

My feeling is that all extra services (like e.g. Internet
connection) should be provided by hired local service
providers. Same for food, entrance monitoring, registration,
cleaning, etc.

There's simply just so much you can expect from a conference
which is being organized by less than 10 active individuals...
if nobody wants to help, we'll simply have to raise the
entrance fees !

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH