[EuroPython] Any News ?

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 15:50:05 +0100

Stefane Fermigier wrote:
>=20
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 01:55:15PM +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> > I was wondering what happened to the EuroPython effort... ?
> >
> > The conference date is only a few months away, so we should
> > start thinking about announcing the conference, setting up the
> > web-site, finding accomodations, etc. The financial aspects
> > are also important e.g. how high will the conference costs
> > be ?
> >
> > We should start looking into these things soon in order to
> > be able to find speakers and people willing to do tutorials,
> > BOFs etc.
> >
> > We need to get the word out, otherwise, noone will show up
> > in Charleroi :-/
>=20
> Here are the notes I took during the meeting. I didn't see the "officia=
l"
> ones on this list but I may have overlooked.

They sound like a plan to me :-)=20

Has anything been done to implement it yet ? I would really
love to see EuroPython get off the ground, but we do need to
hurry up a bit...
=20
> Zope/Python conference in Charleroi:
>=20
>   Stress on the Python side, Zope will follow (?)
>   -> separate press releases ?
>=20
> General commitee:
>   Who: Martijn Faassen, Joachim Schmitz, Denis Fr=E8re, Nicolas Pettiau=
>   Todo:
>     Project coordinationors (DF + GC): should keep track of who has don=
>     what along the plan
>     Make a PR
>     Print a flyer

Is Just van Rossum on this list ? I suppose he could help with this
one or provide some logistics w/r where to have them printed, etc.

I suppose, the flyer won't make to IPC10 though ... which is sad.

>     MF: ask Paul Everitt / GvR to talk about the EP conference during I=
PC10

This and other "get the word out" activities should be top=20
priority, IMHO.

>     Find a professional event organizer (price: 1 man-month =3D 3500 Eu=
ros)

I wonder whether you are going to find such a cheap
event organizer.
=20
> Conference program commitee
>   Who: Stefane Fermigier, Stephan Richter?, MF
>   Todo:
>     Define who does what
>     Make contacts for talks, organize tracks, plan posters
>     Organize keynotes
>     Contact people like Guido van Rossum, Marc-Andre Lemburg, Martin vo=
>     Loewis, Andy Robinson, PythonLabs...

What are your plans for the different tracks ? Should we mimic
the IPC10 ones ?
=20
> Registration:
>   How do people pay ?

I'd suggest to offer two options: pre-pay using a credit card or
in cash at the conference desk. Anyone have a good credit card=20
web interface ? (eGenix.com is using www.shareit.com for credit
card transactions -- they only charge around 4% for the service
which is very reasonable)
=20
> Legal organizer:
>   P3B ?
>   EuroZope ?
>   Ask a legal counsel (Daniel Quintart) ?
>=20
> Finance: NP
>   Find sponsors
>   Manage accounting
>   Make a budget
>   Evaluate number of participants
>   Pay for VIP, invited speakers

I guess, this is another important topic. Any advances in this
area ? How much will the location and facilities cost ?
=20
> Contact press:
>   Invite TV, computer magazines, journals, radio

Whoa :-)

>   Inform potential participants (on existing mailing lists)
>   Make news site
>=20
> Material:
>   Print t-shirts (ask Just von Rossum)
>   Print posters
>   Print program
>=20
> Exhibition ?
>   Commercial stands for companies (are there any candidates ?)
>   Non-commercial stands
>=20
> Logistics (local =3D DF + P3B + OS3B):
>   Catering
>   Social events
>   Places to stay
>   Public transportation
>   Technical support (overhead projectors)
>   Hostesses
>   Cleaning
>   Internet connectivity
>   Laptop room
>=20
> Technical support:
>   Web site (europython.org and eurozope.org already exist)
>   Mail
>   Wiki

The wiki would be a good start for organizing these different topics.
=20
> Time schedule:
>   Setup a form for presentation and communication
>   Call for papers at the beginning of january

Hmm... better make this February ;-)
=20
--=20
Marc-Andre Lemburg