[EuroPython] EuroPython Legal Structure

Denis Frère denis@aragne.com
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 04:08:45 +0100

Le Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 11:42:24PM +0100, Martijn Faassen pianota:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> > Are we read to get the ball rolling then ?
>
> Sure, I'm ready. :)

Happy man ! I wish I could say the same words.

François (a P3B member) is working on putting the bylaws online.
Other points will follow.

For me, I have no much time left for those pleasures, nowadays.
I have to struggle a lot to have our local authorities defining which
amount of help they will offer. I've not yet had the least written
confirmation up to now, though they have a "renting-option" (?) on the
CEME at those dates. The option is valid until march 22.

Don't forget they don't know Python. They don't quite understand in
which game they are playing. So they keep stepping forward and backward.
The Mayor is the one who will say the last word, but he's as difficult
to reach as God ! I've been hanging on the telephone during more than 5
hours, today again, and we're progressing at a snail pace.

My problem is they keep asking me :

- How many visitors will we have ?
 Let's remember the main auditorium has 280 seats only, but I've been
 told it could be extended up to 400 seats by some magic trick. What if
 we have 500 visitors ? The only factual (and quite impressive) thing
 is that we're 100 subcribed people to the organisation mailing-list.
 Will everyone attend and bring at least 4 visitors whith him ?

- What is the program ?
 Will there be really accessible presentation for simple human beings ?
 Will the the presentations be translated ?
 Why would it be interresting for local population ?

- How many rooms and which infrastructure will we need ?
 Will there be hands-on tutorials ?
 How many machines ?
 What for a network do we need ?

- Which private sponsors will we have ?
 But the prospected sponsors want answers to the same questions.

- What will be the entrance fee ?
 If we're making benefits, will they get something back ?

- ... and such things.

I've no precise answers to give.

And from the sponsors point of view, now. I've had a meeting with
a potential sponsor that is a good sample. They could :
- pay for a booth during the conference
 (how much is it exactly ?)
- provide us with telephone support, secretary work and so on
 (is the extra-work taken into account for their bill ?)
- send for us a written invitation to 4000 SME and schools
but they want to be sure Charleroi is really fully supporting the
conference, thay want to know if there will be an Internet based
broadcasting, they want to know the answers to the same questions
the Town is asking, ...

Could we have pre-registration forms (speakers, sponsors and visitors)
where good-will people could give us as much information as possible
to try to find answers to these questions ?
Tom will be in our office tomorrow afternoon and we'll discuss the
point since it's a web related matter and he's in the web team.

And those mails are so long to write ! ;-)

One thing is sure : I'm making a terrible fuss here with our
conference. Everyone will have heard about Python in the whole
region. :-)

Good night.

Denis

--