[EuroPython] Calling Web and Design teams

Philippe Jadin all@123piano.com
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 08:53:06 +0100

Tom Deprez wrote:

>Well, I've seen far better designs than I can do myself, so I think I better
>leave the design to the people with the experience and just work on some
>technical parts of the web, which I was doing in the first place. But I find
>it hard to seperate it completely with design stuff :-).
>So,  perhaps it's better to let somebody of the design persons coördinate
>the web design stuff. If nobody wants to take up, then I might step forward,
>not that I will be able to bring good input.

They are quite slightly related of course... I'd like to help as well
(I'm on http://europython.zope.nl/draftwiki/DesignTeam ).

I think we need to settle on some simple conventions for the website
"architecture", like for example

- one folder per page
- a "content" dtml doc in each folder
- use standard html headers and footer
- have a single index_html file containing :

<dtml-var standard_html_header>
<dtml-var content fmt="structured-text">
<dtml-var standard_html_footer>

- have a single print dtml method like :

<dtml-var print_html_header>
<dtml-var content fmt="structured-text">
<dtml-var print_html_footer>

 From that, we can define some navigational methods, add search,
breadcrumbs, etc...

The design team should provide those standard html headers and footers,
and imho we could work together on the design.
Btw, it would ease a lot if the navigation bars were done with html text
only (in this case we can autogenerate them).

As for the design itself, it would go faster if every designer (or the
group of designers) provided some layouts in bitmap format (no need to
mess with html at this stage), then we could all vote which one is the
best, then implement this design in html/css. In the mean time we can
use a minimal design like the one currently there.

Does it sounds like a good battleplan ?

you may add philippe@123piano.com :)