[EuroPython] Conference title (Press Release German finished)

Dinu Gherman gherman@darwin.in-berlin.de
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 19:46:29 +0100 (CET)

Martijn Faassen <faassen@vet.uu.nl>:

> > Well, yes, but how should somebody *outside* know that?
> > To somebody new (press, sponsors, ...) "Conference Team"
> > just doesn't mean much, I think. But I also have no better
> > solution to offer.
>
> We offer a list of contacts at the bottom. Perhaps we should plaster
> 'conference team representatives' above it? :)

Yep, why not?

> > Right, but then it should be in the announcementm if only as a
> > figure like 250-350.
>
> We should be announcing how many people will show up? Is that
common
> practice? We don't know how many people will show up, and I don't
want
> to announce stuff we don't know about.

Right, but we can say how much we expect, which will be useful
information for sponsors and people writing about the event.
nobody wants to mention an event with 50 lonely Pythonistas.

> > Good, but then I see an inconsistency between "EuroPython"
> > and "European Python and Zope Conference". Ideally, I feel
> > like it should be "European Python Conference 2002" and
> > "EPC 2002" (like IPC10), with some subtitle emphasizing
> > Zope like "The first Major European Python and Zope Mee-
> > ting".
>
> Perhaps so, if you think that Python users who don't use Zope will be
> so put off by the current title that they won't show up.

That's not quite the point. The real point is focus. Of course
each Python application camp would like to appear in the
title, and although many Zopers are involved in the organi-
zation now as was likely the case for IPC8 in Wash., DC,
(where I've been) with a huge Zope track, it was not named
IPZC8 but just IPC8.

How can we know there will be further "European Python
*and* Zope" conferences? If we say "First EPZC" we do
imply there will be more of them. I'm not sure this is very
realistic. There could be easily two different conference
branches, one for Python and one for Zope in Europe,
which would be great for both camps.

Worse even, look at it from a sponsor's point of view: why
should O'Reilly pay anything for a conference that is 50%
about the product of one particular company as expressed
in its very title? Why isn't this particular company a main
sponsor of the event? Mega-worse: why should O'Reilly
pay for Guido's ticket, say, when he actually represents
Zope corporation?? See what I mean?

The more I think about it the more reasons I find to mention
Zope only from the subtitle to the rest of the announcement,
very prominently, but not in the title. It reduces all kinds of
sources for confusion.

Best regards,

Dinu