[EuroPython] Conference Extra-curricular activities?

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 00:34:53 +0100

Joseph Santaniello wrote:

> I recall from the O'reilly OPenSource conferences that there were "open
> forums" in the conference rooms after hours which groups could sign up for
> to discuss/do whatever they wanted to. This allowed ad-hoc groups of
> people to form mini-tracks on the fly, as they saw fit.
>
> That was one of the more interesting features, in my opinion.

Right, these would be Birds of a Feather sessions. These can be entirely
ad-hoc, or can be a bit more structured with some presentations included.

I also much enjoyed last years (couldn't attend this year) lightning talks.
I think a lightning talk session would be neat to have. A lightning talk
consists of a very short (I think it was 10 minutes or so) presentation on
some issue, and you'd have a lot in a row.

> It also might be nice to have some sort of open forum for people/companies
> to showcase some of their work and to make potential business contacts
> with others in a semi-structured way.

Sort of like a poster presentation session, I think.

> These are vauge not fully formed notions, but does this sound interesting?

Yes, they make sense. I'll add a wiki page on stuff like this..

Regards,

Martijn