[EuroPython] Python tracks/topics

Joseph Santaniello someone@arbitrary.org
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 13:06:00 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 at 20:14, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> Joseph Santaniello wrote:
> >
> > Hello All,
> >
> > Perhaps 'Python in The Real World' is just too general a topic. Maybe
> > something like 'Python for solving Real World Problems' which has
> > scientific issues, technical discussions, etc, and examples of real world
> > solutions that have been implemented in Python, and another track that
> > focuses on the more non-technical, or less specific aspects of Python in
> > practice. Things like all the business, cultural, and development model
> > stuff.
>
> Nothing against scientific applications, but what we Tim and I
> originally had in mind was a session where we could discuss
> business models around Python, strategies for convincing
> decision makers about the values of using Python in projects,
> total cost of ownership w/r to Python and Python applications,
> etc.
>
> In that sense "the Real World" meant: Python in business
> environments.
>
> So perhaps we need two tracks:
>
> * Python in Business
> * Python in Science

By Python in Business do you mean using Python to solve business problems
(figuring out finance charges or something) or the business of using
Python and getting it to be accepted, etc.

If we think of it as how Python can be used to figure out business
problems, it is quite similar to scientific problems (or any other for
that matter) and I think perhaps it would be suitable to have a track
filled with all sorts of "real world" applications of Python, be they
business, scientific, or whatever.

But I do agree that there should be a track specifically for the "suits"
which discusses among other things the non-programming specific aspects of
Python. Things like it's overall benefits, how it works well as a
modelling language, how it is quick to develop with, how it's easy to
read and thus maintanable, and things about how to convince
non-technical sceptics that is is a viable alternative to other more
well-know technologies, etc.

I think we are sort of saying the same thing.

Joseph