[EuroPython] Python tracks/topics

Joseph Santaniello someone@arbitrary.org
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 10:49:37 -0800 (PST)

Tim Couper wrote:

> Marc-Andre wrote
> > I could help organize one of the Python tracks...
> > which topics

[snip]

> > Another topic I'd be interested in is "Python and
> > Business" --
> > this could be a discussion or a lightning talks
> > session. The basic
> > idea is to talk about problems and solution managers
> > and developers
> > face in everyday business when dealing with Python
> > in project
> > settings, e.g. how to convince a manager to use
> > Python instead of
> > FooBar in a project, epxerience with various
> > business models
> > built around Python, etc.
>
> This is the area I'm very interested in, and would be
> offer to run this track; whether it is called "Python
> and Business" or more like "Python in the Real World".
> One of the weaknesses of open source systems is the
> almost complete absence of a marketing presence; this
> is considered a virtue by many :-). However, it is
> clear that the quality or effectiveness of technology
> per se does not cause it to be adopted; on the
> contrary, it is consumer perception, which is why
> companies employ marketing people!

[snip]

Hello All,

I'm new to this list, but I look forward to attending the conference. I'm
in the US now, but am moving to Europe in a few months, and look forward
to getting into the scene.

I find this topic of "Python in Business" or whatever quite interesting,
and Tim if you are going to run this track, I'd be happy to help out.
Perhaps my experiences bucking the trend and navigating the political
intrigues necessary to get the finance company where I work to adopt
Python and Zope for it's most critical systems will provide some
interesting background for part of the development of such a track.

Joseph