[EuroPython] EuroPython and LSM

Marc Poinot Marc.Poinot@onera.fr
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 10:08:39 +0100

Hi you all,

I'm not sure I could help you a lot, as I'm already working
on LSM 2002 Python topic. I suggest you use the LSM 2002
as a meeting place for European Python groups.

Let me resume here what is LSM:
- A free, open source dedicated meeting
- A place to meet, share and even produce some software
- A place to learn for free

This is a very informal meeting, and last year we saw that
people would like a more formal framework, at least for the
Python topic. I think the Europython place could be the place
for something more formal.

Here's my plan for LSM 2002, but it may change depending on
the feedback I'll have. Especially from people who were there at
LSM 2001.

- On-demand tutorials, depending on the guru/expert/the-guy-who-knows
  we will have there. Time slots will be decided and commited (yes we can).
  The tutorial we were asked for last year were at least:
  * Introduction to Python (French, probably educational track)
  * Python level N+1 (English)
  * Using Python/XML
  * Using Python doc system
- Half an hour per Python guy that have a valuable presentation
  to show. "valuable" has to be defined.
  I can bet on about 10 presentations, that makes about two
  half days.
- Working classrooms for Python works/discussions/tutorials
  We saw spontaneous working groups last year, including one
  about Zope.

And the last...

- Preparation for European groups, for presentations at Europython

I really think LSM is a good place for such a preparation, as far
as European Python Groups knows what they want to say :)
We can reach Spanish, Italian and French community. I see we already
have the ReportLab guys in the list, and the UK comes with it :)
The German are there two and we have "un belge". Great. We now have
to gather the other Python communities. Please keep in mind that the
Python community is not limitated to the Zope community.

I sent a copy to Tim Couper who was with us at LSM 2002, and to Konrad
who's the top-scientific-python.

I know Bordeaux is not the best place for such a event, but keep
in mind we have there a lot of things for free, and most open source
community is not that rich (even my tailor is not rich).
Now if you think there is no need for such a pre-meeting, feel free
to come to see us anyway... LSM takes place 09-13 of July 2001.

Marcvs [alias Did anybody registered Europerl,
        Euroscheme, Eurovisualbasicmilleniumedition ?]