[Email-SIG] Patch: Improve recognition of attachment file name, with encodings

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Feb 19 23:51:51 CET 2008

Nando writes:

 > > Because Message is an implementation of RFC 2822, which says nothing
 > > about decoding headers.  It is very helpful to model your programs
 > > directly on the standards the claim to conform to.

 > I cannot see any documentation stating that the way of this project is
 > to have each class implement one RFC. If there *were* a writeup on this
 > somewhere, maybe I wouldn't have annoyed you with so many questions and
 > absurd propositions.

But I didn't say that it was a general principle.  I said that Message
is an implementation of RFC 2822.  For historical reasons it lives in
the rfc822 module.  Its main docstring says:

  RFC 2822 message manipulation.

  Note: This is only a very rough sketch of a full RFC-822 parser; in
  particular the tokenizing of addresses does not adhere to all the
  quoting rules.

  Note: RFC 2822 is a long awaited update to RFC 822.  This module
  should conform to RFC 2822, and is thus mis-named (it's not worth
  renaming it).  Some effort at RFC 2822 updates have been made, but a
  thorough audit has not been performed.  Consider any RFC 2822
  non-conformance to be a bug.

 > Anyway, the necessity of a high-level interface remains and nobody has
 > answered my question: whither?

As I wrote earlier, I think writing a *general* high-level interface
is going to be very hard.  I don't have time to devote to it.  If you
have a set of use cases that have a lot of common needs, then you can
and should write a module to serve those needs.  You'll probably find
other people with similar needs, and some of them will help.