[Email-SIG] problem with base64 encoded message/rfc822 attachment

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Sun Nov 21 18:25:36 CET 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to understand the behaviour of email.Message, processing a
base64 encoded message/rfc822 payload. Using the sligthly modified
version of email-unpack.py, the attached  mail results in 2
attachments written:

write 2:text/plain [7bit] to tmp/part-001.ksh
ignore 3:message/delivery-status []
ignore 4:text/plain []
ignore 5:text/plain []
ignore 6:message/rfc822 [base64]
write 7:text/plain [] to tmp/part-006.bin

While part 2 is fine as expected, part 7 looks strange, since it seems
to belong to the base64 encoded part 6. Consequently, the written
file is undecoded, which is not what I want/need. The encoding itself
is consistent, BTW. Who is wrong here?

Could somebody shed some light on this? I would really like to base a
attachment filter on this module, and its precursor based on rfc822/
mimetools felt much more backwardly to me..

I'm on python 2.3[.4] here.

Cheers,
Pete