[Email-SIG] email v3.0 feature request

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Oct 23 14:29:06 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 13:58, Gerrit Holl wrote:

> I think it may be useful if the e-mail module can treat the Received:-headers
> specially, and parse them for the user.

Very cool idea.  I'd still want the mapping interface (i.e.
msg['Received']) to return the headers as strings, but having another
method to return and ordered list of Received objects would be quite
cool.  Questions:

- In what order should they be sorted?  Closest hop first, or first hop
first?

- Should they be immutable?  If not, should changing them be reflected
back into the original headers, through the mapping interface or when
flattened?

I like the idea of a datetime too, but I think Python's default datetime
stuff doesn't have any notions of timezones, and I think our Received
objects would definitely want to be "aware".

-Barry