[Edu-sig] Google Colab

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon May 28 11:53:28 EDT 2018

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 1:01 AM, Dominik George <nik at naturalnet.de> wrote:

> Please do NOT use such tools in education.
>
> Cheers,
> Nik

​Good point Nik.

My only concrete plan to use Jupyter Notebooks in the classroom is during a
summer camp next month. My expectation is we'll install the Anaconda distro
either on OSX or Windows depending on whether Reed College wants Saturday
Academy to provide its own laptops. Theirs are Apple, and for all I know
already have Jupyter Notebooks installed.

Currently, I teach MIT Scratch to kids, which Coding with Kids (a company)
sees as a bridge to Python, which we also share, via Codesters.com, both
on-line platforms offering free accounts.

The head office creates the accounts and passwords and the kids learn to
log into them.  Many of them are quite young (not the Python students, more
like middle school).  We do not currently teach about Jupyter Notebooks.

My adult students do get a lot of about Jupyter Notebooks from me​. I
consider this technology rather integral to learning Python for workplace
use.

We use a Google Drive to share the files, but students do not need a Google
account to access the drive, only the link. Most my classes are BYOD so
it's up to each student to configure a local platform.  They might be using
Ubuntu.

You're right that requiring students to have Google accounts can be
problematic.  Like you say, as minors they're too young to navigate the
fine print.  Most oldsters don't carefully read the EULAs either (that's
Microsoft terminology).

However education is all about self teaching and many students freely
choose to avail of Google's services, starting with Gmail.  For this
reason, I don't worry about sharing news of this service on edu-sig,
leaving it to individuals to make their own choices.