[Edu-sig] What do folks think of creating a #python-k12 channel on freenode?

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Sat May 12 22:40:16 EDT 2018

Hi,

I'm in! Actually I've been at that IRC channel for the past couple of
days and haven't seen anyone come by.

I'm not very active chatting but it's nice to have a place open for
discussion. One difficulty with IRC is that people don't stick around
for answers and it doesn't preserve history by default. I've found that
Matrix.Org has bridges to IRC and accommodates bridges to other chat
systems people might want. Riot.im is a nice libre client with history -
and there are others.

I've activated the IRC bridge to Riot.im -

My project is developing tools and materials for young people to learn
to code. I aim to have a full course and do workshops with local
indigenous amazonian groups and other vulnerable groups. So I
exclusively promote libre software. Also I'm dogfooding, i.e. my
unschooled children (4 and 7) are learning with our method and are
really into it.

Often I see educational material very anglo centric so I'm writing my
tutorials in Spanish. It would be nice to collaborate with others as I
go along (I do a lot of tooling). I am part of a network of workshop
teachers ("Python Joven") that started in Uruguay since 2012, we did one
in Colombia in 2014 and now we're looking to continue this work.

I've recently gained write access to the Python wiki, we should also add
some information there. Would PythonInEducation
<https://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonInEducation> be a good place to
document joint efforts? I've embedded that wikipage in the Riot.Im
channel (optional).

Please start using #python-k12:matrix.org with your Riot.im / Matrix.Org
client or with plain IRC Freenode, #python-k12 !

I'm glad to help with some tooling for collaboration. But only if we
stay in the libre camp, if that's fair with you!

Regards,
Sebastian