[Edu-sig] turtle coordinates: Y increase downards - as in most graphics API?

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 16:41:25 EDT 2018

So, a little over 3 years after I submitted a bug report (see previous
conversation below) **with a fix** so that no one would have to explain why
"right()" could result in a turtle turning left, and vice-versa, my
submission was refused and the bug report was closed with the following
explanation:

"

I'm closing this issue since introducing this suggested change would
impact teaching materials and resources that have already been
published. This would be a change that would break compatibility.

"

I'm curious: does anyone on the edu-sig list has written teaching
material for the turtle module that sets world coordinates such that
left and right are reversed? If so, how do you explain it to students?

Rant: This is the third time that I submit either a bug report for
cPython **with** a proposed fix, or simply a fix for an existing bug
report and that it is either rejected or dismissed with no alternative
solution proposed.  Thankfully, the folks here on edu-sig have been
much more supportive since I joined, almost 15 years ago. /rant

André