[Edu-sig] Code to Joy in The Economist (June/July 2018)

Nicholas H.Tollervey ntoll at ntoll.org
Mon Jun 4 04:10:03 EDT 2018

Kirby,

Thank you for your kind words.

Andrew has just signed a book deal to be delivered in about a year's
time. His task: to write about what it's like to learn to code. We're
regularly in touch via email, he's "up for it" (as we say in Britain)
and sponge-like in his desire to learn about coding, Python and the
culture that surrounds it. He's also looking at other languages too
(perhaps C/C++).

My hope is he'll demolish some of the toxic and exclusory stereotypes
and behaviours associated with coding. I hope he'll celebrate some of
the progress we, in the Python community, have worked so hard to bring
about in this respect. I hope he'll hold us to account as "the fifth
estate", as he calls us in the Economist piece. He gets that coding is
both moral and political in nature.

He's clever, funny and writes extraordinarily clear and witty prose. He
tells a great story too (I've read both his other books). I'm looking
forward to reading what he has to say.

Best wishes,

N.