[Edu-sig] False alarms?

Sergio Rojas sergio_r at mail.com
Tue Jul 10 08:13:42 EDT 2018

>  here's a blog post raising the alarm
> that Python (among others) is "completely incompatible with mathematics".
>

> https://blogs.ams.org/matheducation/2017/01/09/integrating-computer-science-in-math-the-potential-is-great-but-so-are-the-risks/

I get lost reading the referred blog post. I was
under the impression that the ideas presented in the
post were already fully discussed back in the 90's,
when Mathematica was getting its way into the
classroom at US schools. That things like "x = x + x"
were already familiar to teachers.

In fact, I was thinking of an open source alternative to Mathematica
when writing the book on Prealgebra via Python Programming
(https://www.researchgate.net/publication/325473565), with the
advantage that Python can be used for intensive computing task as
well as for symbolic (algebraic) computations (like mathematica)
via SymPy.

I was under the idea that the Mathematica team has already shaped and
polished the road. I can see that I was wrong. It is still very, very
rough (much more than the first draft of my book).

Sergio