[Edu-sig] Editors/IDEs for teaching

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 08:05:10 EDT 2018

On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 8:18 AM Aivar Annamaa <aivar.annamaa at ut.ee> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I just found an educational Python IDE nobody hasn't mention yet --
> TigerJython: http://jython.tobiaskohn.ch/index.html

​
Thank you very much for this.

For those that look at the available links and do not pursue further
because they appear to point to resources written in German, note that some
documents are available in English (and French) in addition to German. For
example: http://www.tigerjython.com/engl/index.php

I have not tried it yet.  Reading the description, I like the fact that it
appears to be a self-contained environment (like Thonny and Mu) that
include nice simplified tracebacks and other features useful for beginners.

I note that it adds to standard Python a special repeat syntax

repeat n:
    # block of code

which is something I also support on Reeborg's World.  I suggested such an
addition for standard Python on the Python-ideas list but it was quickly
shut down (and I don't disagree with the rationale given - but I still
think it is something very useful in an environment designed for beginners).

It is possible to implement something like this in standard Python using
import hooks (as I reported some time ago on this list), but it is not
exactly easy.  (I may have more to say on this soon.)

André
​