[Edu-sig] Editors/IDEs for teaching

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 11:49:55 EDT 2018

​Regarding Atom.io editor for Python (and other languages), I'm just now
discovering the Hydrogen plug-in.

This allows highlighting contiguous lines in a script and ​treating this as
a cell, as if in a Jupyter Notebook (but we're in a normal program).

The output inserts directly below.  Here's a screen shot:

https://flic.kr/p/27KsgFG
Editor split in two columns with in-line Jupyter-like output interleaved

I found this Youtube showing the user experience:

https://youtu.be/VcDbxEV-OI0
Learn Jupyter Notebooks (pt.1a) Hydrogen with Atom
​by Mark Jay​

As with Jupyter, you can also get LaTex symbolic output with this feature.
Still exploring.