[Edu-sig] Editors/IDEs for teaching

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 11:04:29 EDT 2018

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 11:52 AM Nicholas H.Tollervey <ntoll at ntoll.org>
wrote:

> On 03/07/18 15:27, Andre Roberge wrote:
> > * Mu (https://codewith.mu/). Primarily intended for young learners and
> > hobbyists.
>
> Nope.
>
> ​Thanks!​

> I'm the author of Mu. It's for beginner programmers of all levels (as it
> says so on the website). Beginner programmer is a "stage" not an age. ;-)

​I do agree with what you write ... but, at the same time, I've been
struggling to define appropriate categories. Some software can be designed
for use by (young) adult beginners but not for young children. (For
example: anything that will rely heavily on word menus ... say, like
Microsoft Word.) I'm using the term hobbyists for this category. Other
software can be designed to be used by young children.  I did not see Mu
being designed to be used in a CS 101 type of course.  Perhaps I am wrong
and should simply think of the target audience as "everyone" like I did for
IDLE.... ?

André