[Edu-sig] Python teacher notes, preparing for class...

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 06:02:13 EDT 2018

> By default, the sorted function looks at the leftmost element of a tuple
or other iterable, when sorting...

AFAIU, sorted() compares the whole object.
https://docs.python.org/3/howto/sorting.html

>>> l = [(3, 2), (3, 1), (1, 1, 2), (1, 1)]
>>> sorted(l)
[(1, 1), (1, 1, 2), (3, 1), (3, 2)]

The way it reads, it seems like you're implying that sorted() does this:

>>> l = [(3, 2), (3, 1), (1, 1, 2), (1, 1)]
>>> sorted(l, key=lambda x: x[0])
[(1, 1, 2), (1, 1), (3, 2), (3, 1)]

> You'll find some excellent overview of the magic methods in this essay by
Rafe Kettler: A Guide to Python's Magic Methods. He's mostly looking at
Python 2.7, so does not pick up on the __next__ method, however you'll be
able to fill in the blanks thanks to this course

This is unclear to me. What does the next() function do? How do I find the
docs and source for it?

These are misspelled:

> comparitor
> compartor

These are great:
- http://www.scipy-lectures.org/intro/language/python_language.html
-
http://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/jrjohansson/scientific-python-lectures/blob/master/Lecture-1-Introduction-to-Python-Programming.ipynb
  - Something about sorted with a link to the docs would be a good addition.

IDK, I tend to find it much easier to just read the docs (and the source,
if it's not clear).

https://docs.python.org/3/library/functions.html#sorted

https://docs.python.org/3/howto/sorting.html

sorted() is a built-in function (as indicated by the TypeError thrown by
inspect.getfile(sorted)); which are in bltinmodule.c:
https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/master/Python/bltinmodule.c