[Edu-sig] What to teach: sorting algorithms vs OOP?

Jurgis Pralgauskis jurgis.pralgauskis at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 15:46:58 EDT 2018

Hi,

The dillema I have when teaching:
 our k12 curricullum of programming is more based on algorithms (math
ideas),
but when working as programmer, I see the bigger need of SW architecture
knowledge..

 OOP is one big topic, which could replace sorting alg stuff (that I never
applied (directly) in this century...). The topics could be integrated in
making mini game engine :)

I'd still leave classics of sum, min search, and search in sorted vs non
array to get the idea of algorithms.

What are your approaches, if you have programming classes in K12?
--
Jurgis Pralgauskis
tel: 8-616 77613