[Edu-sig] some new open source Python writing (Jupyter Notebooks)

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 15:46:17 EDT 2017

On Monday, September 4, 2017, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:

> PS:
>
> my recent exercises in teaching math with Python, ala Peter Farrell, is
> sparking some heated debate on math-teach.
>
> http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2876811  (especially in
> recent days, early September 2017)
>
> Bob Hansen is trashing this writing as some of the worst pedagogy he's
> ever seen.
>
> I'm trying to incorporate some of his feedback in my latest revisions.

Maybe a bit OT:

I've wondered whether we could/should instead start mathematics education
with bits as entropy (information theory first)?:

- base 2: 00, 01, 10, 11 (on our hands (2**?))
- counting
- ASCII (0-127)
  - how do we know the number represents an integer or a character? ...
Encoding, Types
  - The number zero is actually # (code point): ___
- Unicode
- class SpecialString(str)

- Binary and then floating point arithmetic
  - unary, binary operators
    - import operators: sorted(dir(operators))
  - left and right shift
  - multiplication as repeated addition
  - long division
    - floating point (error, BigFloat)
    - symbolic mathematics
      - MathJax, LaTeX (how to even type this?)
      - CAS: SymPy, latex2sympy

- Entropy
  - Independence of observations
  - Maximum Information

class Shape
class Quadrilateral
class Rectangle
class Square
class Triangle
class RightTriangle
def perimiter
def area
def vertexes

def scale
def rotate

class PlatonicSolid

Are there computer science & mathematics curricula like this (that start
with entropy)?