[Edu-sig] when and why should kids learn Python?

David MacQuigg macquigg at ece.arizona.edu
Sat Oct 28 05:25:19 EDT 2017

Great to see progress in adding CS to the curriculum.  CodingBat look
vastly improved since I was last involved.  It's predecessor, JavaBat, was
the inspiration for PyKata.  PyKata would have been Codingbat plus the
ability for teachers to select their own exercises, or create their own, an
even have a home-page making it look like their own website.
Unfortunately, the urgencies of my day job didn't leave time to finish
PyKata. https://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2015-July/011283.html

I'm disappointed at the Python community for not better supporting
educational efforts.  Ruby seems to be surging ahead of Python in
popularity.  This seems like a step backward to me - Python with a bit of
Perl ugliness added back in.