[Edu-sig] Children on github

René Dudfield renesd at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 23:25:20 EDT 2017

Hello,

as part of the move of the pygame (pygame.org) project repository to github
we received feedback that github doesn't allow children who have been given
consent by their parents to participate.

This concerns Germany, and I guess Europe (but I don't know the details).
Here is the report on our mailing list from someone involved in an
educational organisation in Germany that teaches children python.
Apparently they introduce kids to python, and even have some of them
contributing to free and open source software projects they are interested
in.
http://archives.seul.org/pygame/users/Mar-2017/msg00164.html

Since I agree with the Python community Code of Conduct that people should
not be excluded, this is an issue for us. I was wondering if anyone on the
EDU-sig knows about this, or if anyone can give us guidance?

This is a delicate issue, and I don't think I have the ability to deal with
this. Which is one of the reasons I'm asking for help.

If there are no solutions to pass on to this group, I'd like to request
some help raising the issue with github to see if they can come up with a
solution?

thanks,