[Edu-sig] update from Silicon Forest (follow-up)

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 03:35:13 EST 2017

> OK, back to my day. Codesters, then meetup with Steve Holden, former PSF
> chairman and Pycon instigator (younger the EuroPython, that institution).
> He's just breezing through PDX on a lark.

First, apologies for my prior post of this month appearing twice in the
archives, some kind of failure on my end, in the middle of a send,
resulting in a double-send. As one of the listowners, I could mess with it
and delete one, but why at this point?

My main business is to report about having Steve Holden as my guest on my
Python TV show (a small group of students taking advantage of a
professional development opportunity).

Steve and I had about 30 minutes to rehearse using Zoom.us to pass control
of the desktop around. I switched to him for demonstrations of MicroPython
controlling continuously variable speed propellor gizmos. We were on
separate floors of the building, but one staircase apart.

One the outgoing video feed, we were able to get us both side-by-side as
talking heads, so that Steve could both hold up his circuit board [1] and
share his MicroPython shell, running on the other end of a USB
connection.[2] Later in the program he showed with the Wing IDE looks like.
We mostly look at Spyder, not exclusively (at least PyCharm, Eclipse, and
IDLE will likely appear).

For those just joining us, Steve, former PSF chairman, lives in the UK but
just happens to be in Portland, an old haunt of his.[3]

Students were engaged and asked good questions.

Kirby

[1]  https://flic.kr/p/QwrS84 (Pyboard, paper diagram)
[2]  https://flic.kr/p/RGD4Hb (USB connection to Pyboard, in turn
controlling two servo-mechanisms)
[3]  http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2011/02/open-secrets.html (Steve making
a splash when moving to Portland in 2011, my personal journal -- blog --
entry).