[Edu-sig] update from Silicon Forest

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 15:36:53 EST 2017

Thank you Wes, very much, for all those excellent bookmarks, reminded me of
when the Web was little more than personal pages, by those knowing enough
HTML to hand code, and giving bookmarks (links) to other favorite places.

Great addition to the Python.org mailman archives for future reference for
all of us. I used some of those swagger.io links in the message window
during class just hours ago (I do one-way audio-video two-way text, private
or to all).

That's value added for sure. This was pre search engine of any real power,
so all the more so were these "sign post" web pages needed in Wild West
days (let's call that early web W2 as in "Wild West" vs WWW or W3, the more
mature implementation we enjoy today, right? -- yes, name collisions
abound, so create a namespace, would ya, just for me?).

Anyway,

http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2017/01/embedded-codester-apps.html

(interested for whom it doesn't work, and also notice the turtle only
sometimes draws the vertical bar to the hexagon (red), and per the penup
and pendown code, to my eyes never should).

... might be interesting to some educators here.

I'm showing off embedded Codester applications ("") written in an MIT
Scratch like environment, deliberately so. For continuity. Kids get started
in Scratch and transition to Codesters. The Python community oughta take
note, cuz Codesters is Python (3.x).

Windy day in PDX, I woke up respecting pilots (as in airplane pilots, but
of course shipping can be hazardous also, not forgetting about trucking...
huge pile up in California, like 50 vehicles... ). Speaking of trucking,
that's another area where FoxPro has shined, the language I used prior to
becoming a Python user (in spatial geometry initially) and later teacher
(for O'Reilly, for Saisoft, for Coding with Kids).

I'm sharing data about roller coasters in .csv format, comparing .csv to
.json as data exchange formats. I'm talking about my night class, for
adults, already deep into IT. Last night was "the API economy" (Apigee got
swallowed up by Google awhile back, I noticed that).  Front end: lots of
eye candy, HTML + CSS a high art. Back end: straight data in bulk,
wholesale, not really for human eyes though we like readability in
principle (XML, JSON -- all those (but then XML might have huge chunks of
munged binary data right, like base64? -- lots of "text" is just binary in
disguise let's be clear).

We use the csv reader object in the module by that name. I have them on
Anaconda, using 3.5 -- I can boot up 3.6 and showcase features without
asking them to have it locally.

Back to trucking, I'm thinking of a coder, even older than me, with an
extremely sharp intellect. I write about him in my blog here and there,
transportation engineer by training. He has some C kernel code that
optimizing routing better than the competition a lot of the time, around
which he's layered FoxPro (VFP), but then more and more Python over time.
Whatever I know of the trucking business is most likely through him.
Actually maybe I don't mention him by name. That's OK. Truckologists would
be able to zoom in. :-D

OK, back to my day. Codesters, then meetup with Steve Holden, former PSF
chairman and Pycon instigator (younger the EuroPython, that institution).
He's just breezing through PDX on a lark.

Congrats to Charles for getting his poster proposal accepted at Pycon. I'll
be there with him to co-explain. :-D

Kirby
PDX