[Edu-sig] Helping with Python education

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 18:07:15 EDT 2017

- This list has lots of great ideas and resources:
  http://markmail.org/search/?q=list:org.python.edu-sig

  - http://markmail.org/search/?q=list%3Aorg.python.edu-sig#
query:list%3Aorg.python.edu-sig%20from%3A%22Wes%20Turner%22
    - I tend to share lots of links

Things that could be done (someone could):

- [ ] create a GitHub repo [and/or team] for edu-sig w/ a README.rst an an
issue #1 as a meta-issue
  - e.g. python/core-workflow: https://github.com/python/core-
workflow/issues
  - [ ] README.rst:
    - https://www.python.org/community/sigs/current/edu-sig/ (link to /
port from)
      - an awesome-python-edu README.rst repo (with a table of ``..
contents::` ) might also spurn contributions of useful resources
  - [ ] Issue #1

On Friday, April 28, 2017, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Santiago --
>
> I'm not aware of any centralized "to do" list.
>
> We live in a quickly changing world so I'm doubtful anyone has enough
> overview to source one.
>
> Andrew Harrington's suggestion, to add to the growing library of
> interactive resources, seems excellent.

- [ ] Add JSON-LD and/or RDFa markup to #OER resources for search

 - https://schema.org/CreativeWork
   - https://schema.org/Course
      - https://schema.org/CourseInstance
 - https://schema.org/SoftwareApplication

 - https://schema.org/name
 - https://schema.org/url
 - https://schema.org/description
 - https://schema.org/about
 - https://schema.org/identifier
 - https://schema.org/educationalAlignment

> I'm working with a teaching company, Coding with Kids, based in Redmond,
> WA (home of Microsoft) that integrates Python into its teaching.
>
> The tools we use currently goes something like: code.org -> MIT Scratch
> -> Codesters.org -> Cloud9 (c9.io) and Codepen.io.

- https://github.com/jupyter/docker-stacks

- https://github.com/jupyter/nbgrader
  - "A system for assigning and grading notebooks"

- https://github.com/sagemathinc/smc
  - https://hub.docker.com/r/sagemathinc/sagemathcloud/
  - https://sagemath.blogspot.com/2014/10/sagemathcloud-
course-management.html
  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t72TwWy6RL0 ~2m vid
  - https://mikecroucher.github.io/SMC_tutorial/course_
management/course_management.html

- http://pyalgo.tpq.io/
  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBXjexQFFz4
  - Table of Contents
  - Web shell
  - Jupyter

> By the time we get towards the end, we're also learning Javascript (JS).
>
> The latest JS is a lot like Python in many dimensions (but different, so
> contrasts also useful).

- "Python + JS == more than their sum()"
  http://markmail.org/thread/fazgvf6deozfg7ud

> My own focus, through Oregon Curriculum Network (which I sponsor) is
> better integration of learning to code with learning mathematics more
> generally. [1]

How do these curriculum resources integrate with general mathematics
content?

- https://k12cs.org/framework-statements-by-concept/
  - https://k12cs.org/statements-of-support/
  - https://k12cs.org/framework-statements-by-concept/#jump-data-analysis

- https://code.org/educate/curriculum/high-school
  - https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/pdf/ap/ap-
computer-science-principles-course-and-exam-description.pdf
    - AP Computer Science Principles

- "Think Complexity" (Free book!)
   http://greenteapress.com/complexity/

Can I do Khan Academy {math,} exercises w/ git, miniconda, and jupyter
notebook?

  - [ ] create a cookiecutter template w/ Pipfile, nb/ (notebooks), /docs,
setup.py, /tests (runipy, )

> There's also a lot of emphasis on coding hardware devices and Python has
> had a role in that world, with the BBC Micro:bit especially. [2]

- Raspberry Pi's ship with Python ver. n installed (and USB and HDMI and
WiFi)
  - There are not yet conda repos for ARM
    - https://github.com/conda-forge/conda-forge.github.io/issues/269
      "Build conda packages on linux-armv7l arch (e.g. Raspberry Pi)"

> In my part of the world, a lot of that portion of the curriculum is
> focused on Arduino, programmed in a Processing-derived language that maps
> to C.

The Khan Academy IntroJS exercises are built w/ ProcessingJS:
https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/computer-programming/programming