[Edu-sig] Python + JS == more than their sum()

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 09:56:23 EST 2016

On Sunday, November 27, 2016, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 4:12 AM, Adam Morris <amorris at mistermorris.com
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','amorris at mistermorris.com');>> wrote:
>
>> It depends on whether or not we are wishing to teach future computer
>> scientists, in which case having a stack with different languages makes
>> sense.
>

>> However, in a general education middle school and high school context,
>> where we are not assuming that, I think we should stick with one language
>> to standardize upon, with other options being considered a “challenge” (and
>> not the default). The IB Diploma Program asks students to write in
>> pseudo-code, which is an awful lot like Python.

RosettaCode

- http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Category:Java
- http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Category:Python

RPython

- Docs: http://rpython.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
- Docs: http://rpython.readthedocs.io/en/latest/glossary.html
- Docs: http://rpython.readthedocs.io/en/latest/translation.html

PyPy

- Src: https://bitbucket.org/pypy/pypy

- International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA)

- Logic
- Asm
- HLA
  - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Level_Assembly
  - recompile for different OS
- OS Kernel > Bytecode
  - "compiler", "interpretor"

https://github.com/pybee/voc "A transpiler that converts Python bytecode
into Java bytecode."

> Q: Does any institution have the authority to mandate a singular language
> and if so what institution would that be?
>
> A: You've already answered that in the IB sphere it's pseudo-code (not
> runnable on any existing virtual machine) and I believe Java still reigns
> supreme in US AP/CS world, though I could well be out of date and not know
> it.  Feel free to update me, anyone.

From:
https://wrdrd.com/docs/consulting/software-development#computer-science-curricula

ACM Computer Science Curricula 2013: Curriculum Guidelines for
Undergraduate Degree Programs in Computer Science (December 20, 2013)

https://www.acm.org/education/CS2013-final-report.pdf

From: https://wrdrd.com/docs/consulting/educational-testing#ap

e.g. AP Computer Science

   - Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AP_Computer_Science
   -

   http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/courses/teachers_corner/4483.html
   -

   https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/apcourse/ap-computer-science-a

- ThinkJava: http://greenteapress.com/thinkjava6/html/

- Worth noting that, IIUC, the AP Computer Science test was written before
"K12 CS Framework". https://k12cs.org (2016)

> I expect we'll see a continuation of competing approaches, reminiscent of
> McDonalds versus Burger King, or Coke versus Pepsi, wherein different
> "paths to success" get advertised and spread around (franchised).  That
> seems to be the pattern.
>

> The (Python + JS) synergy looks promising at the moment in part because of
> Jupyter Notebooks (yes, a small niche, but a potentially important), which
> notebook technology is now friendly with sister kernels.
>

> Code schools that stay more strictly with JavaScript, as the one language
> you really need, are likely to remain popular.  Lets celebrate diversity.
> The market reminds me of the one for martial arts schools in some ways.
>
> These "code schools" are not "high schools" per se but may have an impact
> thereon.  For some they're seen as an alternative to CS and college.
>
> https://medium.freecodecamp.com/so-that-whole-coding-
> bootcamp-thing-is-a-scam-right-6fddf14087d4

- OpenBadges ("credentials")
  https://openbadges.org

schema.org/Credential discussions in the schema.org/Course development
GitHub Issue thread: https://github.com/schemaorg/schemaorg/issues/195

- Ctrl-F for "credential", '"blockchain",

Programmer Competency Matrix

http://sijinjoseph.com/programmer-competency-matrix/

https://competency-checklist.appspot.com/

https://github.com/hltbra/programmer-competency-checklist

I can read e.g. learnxinyminutes.com for a given language, but that doesn't
mean I have demonstrable experience in a language; so the work outputs
(e.g. projects, ) are helpful.

> I'm aware of the Bootstrap initiative -- not talking about Twitter CSS --
> and its Pyret language, still under development: an example of another
> subculture in the making. I'd like to know more.  I was on the Pyret
> listserv until recently, but realized it wasn't geared for meta level
> discussions.

Q&A in mailinglists, issue tickets, q&a forums ->  reviews

- q&a: questions & answers
  - stackoverflow, stack exchange Q&A forums often have separate meta-level
thread resource collections: http://meta.stackoverflow.com
  - osqa, askbot (django)
    - https://github.com/ASKBOT/askbot-devel

- code review
  - PullRequest comments (GitHub, GitLab, BitBucket,  Gerrit, ReviewBoard
(Python, Django))

- DNS cert (*.domain, meta.domain)
  - letsencrypt.org

> Here in Silicon Forest, around today's high and middle schools you'll find
> a subculture looking at Scratch (not so much Logo) as a prelude to
> JavaScript in a browser, with Python closely on its heels.  Chromebooks are
> big.

How to IPython JS and Python with Jupyter Notebook AND a Chromebook would
be great.

- Jupyter Google Drive
  - https://github.com/jupyter/jupyter-drive

- Docker
  - Chromebook: Crouton,
https://gist.github.com/christianbundy/ba62890a7c2f8128bcbb

- Docker pool (spawner, authenticator)
  on a different server

> That's just one way to go among many.  Convergence to any one approach
> isn't necessarily in the cards.  I don't foresee any "winner take all"
> curriculum on the horizon.

The practices and concepts of k12cs.org feed the ACMCurriculum.

Practically, free online course sequences that are self-paced like
KhanAcademy.org and CodeCademy.com/learn are often easier to deep link to
than the college and university courses listed in
https://www.class-central.com/subjects