[Edu-sig] continuing with ES6 / Python comparison, other chatter

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 03:26:39 EST 2016

On Saturday, November 26, 2016, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wes, your posts remind me of del.icio.us, the
> shared bookmark service. Is that still used?
> The Wikipedia page as of today seems
> uncertain.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delicious_(website)
> I see the website.  Seems like we could mine
> it without signing in before?  This page has
> no explanation.  Why would anyone sign up
> for anything that opaque?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scuttle_(software)

https://github.com/bookieio/Bookie

- AGPLv3
- Pyramid, SQLAlchemy, Celery
- Full-Text Search

... ElasticSearch JSON API, Django Haystack

> I feel we do too little with bookmarks e.g. what
> web pages or services suck stuff from History
> and/or Bookmarks and bring it into the DOM
> itself, for whatever reason?  Is there an API
> for that?

There are browser JS APIs for browser extensions (which generally run in a
context above window.):

- https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/bookmarks
- https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/history
- https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions/API/bookmarks
- https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions/API/history
- WebExtensions (chrome, firefox)
  - http://arewewebextensionsyet.com

Yeoman : JS :: Cookiecutter : Python

There are yeoman project scaffolds for browser extensions:

- http://yeoman.io/generators/
- https://github.com/yeoman/generator-chrome-extension
- https://github.com/dgil/generator-firefox-extension#readme

Maybe bookmarks should be more like a queue,
> with smart algorithms suggesting we get back
> to them, helping us prioritize.  Bookmarks aren't
> "aggressive" enough?

A lesson plan is a (graph/tree) of Thing Sequences which is traversed
(optimally?)

- https://schema.org/Thing
- https://schema.org/CreativeWork

Node magnitudes come from expertly qualified content prioritizers.

Bookmarks queue:

- https://github.com/westurner/pbm/blob/master/pbm/plugins/queuefolder.py
-
https://bitbucket.org/westurner/workhours/src/tip/workhours/firefox/history.py
- https://bitbucket.org/westurner/workhours/src/tip/workhours/webkit/

> Tagging and sharing. Graphing...

Labels and ACLs.

Graphviz, NetworkX, D3JS, SigmaJS

yEd

WebGL, Canvas, WebRTC

> More engines that run little "virtual networks"
> (network = polyhedron (considered in wireframe)),

that we can pass around.  Little "virtual webs"
> that frame existing web pages?  You're free
> to jump into them, but just as free to use an
> alternative / framing link surface.  Food for
> thought.

- Zotero collections are like labels
- OpenLink Data Spaces (ODS)
- What is the context / scope?

TutorBot, TAbot

- http://prefix.cc/skos:broader
- http://prefix.cc/skos:narrower

- "Curriculum Development Knowledge Annotation and Discovery Tool"
  - "OTOMH"
    -
https://westurner.org/wiki/ideas#thingsequence-coursesequence-courseunit
    - ideally there'd be a tool to assist with preparing responses like
these for various information APIs (mailing lists, markdown (github,
gitlab, bitbucket, reddit), restructuredtext (sphinx docs)).