[Edu-sig] Edu-sig Digest, Vol 156, Issue 7

Nicholas H.Tollervey ntoll at ntoll.org
Thu Jul 14 03:41:42 EDT 2016

Hi Carl,

On 13/07/16 23:23, Carl Smith wrote:
> Just tried contributing to Mu, and was ridiculed by Nicholas Tollervey,
> so wont be bothering with it now.

If that's how I made you feel, them I'm sorry.

Nevertheless, I'm trying to work out how asking for evidence could be
construed as ridicule. I was trying to set out the scope of Mu, why we
made the UX design decisions we did when building Mu, what I would need
in order to accept changes and tried (but obviously failed) to strike a
pleasant and welcoming tone.

> It would have been an interesting project. I've taught Python
> professionally, and developed very similar tools before, so it's exactly
> the type of thing I normally enjoy working on. The frosty welcome from
> Tollervey was a bit too much though.

For the benefit of everyone else, the full exchange and my "frosty"
response can be found here:

https://github.com/ntoll/mu/issues/116

I'd encourage people to read it and make up their own mind.

I'm trying to work out how asking for evidence can be construed as
"frosty". You stated that you thought the editor was childish, you
mention minimalism without explaining what you meant and you criticised
our UX design decisions.

Of course I'm going to ask for evidence. What else did you expect?

Finally, making this personal by singling me out and casting aspersions
in a public mailing list makes me *very* uncomfortable and is not a nice
thing to do.

As I mentioned at the start, if I made you feel like you were being
ridiculed, then I apologise - but it is unacceptable to make ad hominem
attacks on people simply because they've asked you for evidence to back
up your brief and undeveloped assertions in a ticket.

Finally, and for the record, we welcome feedback, both good and bad,
from anyone no matter who they are. As we mention in our "contributing"
statement (https://github.com/ntoll/mu/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.rst), we
expect people to follow the PSF's code of conduct, engage with respect,
humour and intelligence and to expect robust yet respectful feedback.

I trust that, in future, you will bear this in mind.

Best wishes,

Nicholas.