[Edu-sig] greetings from <guild />; looking forward to pep 0498

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 15:22:09 EST 2016

I've started to pick up some new Python students (adult age) through PDX
Code Guild (<guild />).

http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2016/01/bootcamp.html

I was there last night watching their lead instructor coax them into gamely
tackling the game of Zombie Dice, which has some pretty simple rules, not
unlike Black Jack.

https://flic.kr/p/CwcxzH  (I assume the rule are Googleble)

Tiffany is an accomplished instructor who inspires confidence in her team.

https://flic.kr/p/CXDmZ4  ("duck typing" -- inside joke)

Here's a snapshot of the kind of 'intro to classes' material we're using at
<guild />, I'm sure reminiscent of what you've seen elsewhere, that you've
written yourself:

https://github.com/4dsolutions/Python5/blob/master/intro_classes.py

I'm also planning to use this little quiz idea I picked up at Portland
Python User Group (PPUG) -- code appended.

That'll be when I guest lecture @ <guild /> on Wednesday, included in the
Bootcamp course I'm aiming to pick up, after Intro to Python (starting soon
InshaAllah).

I'll also share some of the odyssey of our little gem of a School @
O'Reilly, not a sales pitch as we've decided on a different tack ("we" as
in ORM, for whom I'm still working even as we speak, marathon runner
students rushing to the finish line).

Hey, I'm really looking forward to this new PEP being in 3.6:
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/portland/2016-January/001733.html  (re
0498)

My other gig is teaching State of California folks enrolled in an
enlightened professional development program.  Saisoft.net -- some of you
may already know that outfit.  That's using Internet, but in real time,
whereas School job is / was asynchronous (it's not either / or).

Aside:  I'm finding Lynda.com has some dynamite content around JavaScript /
JQuery I'm thinking.  Yes, that's a commercial.  Safari Online is dynamite
too, a perk I get to keep as a thank you (our faculty was dynamite).

http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2016/01/what-is-jquery.html  (the Joe Marini
movies are great!)

Looking forward to Pycon in Portland!

Kirby

====

# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
"""
Created on Sun Jan 10 21:15:06 2016

@author: kurner

Keywords Quiz
Can you think of them all?
"""

import keyword
all_kw = keyword.kwlist[:] # make a copy
found = [ ]

while len(all_kw) > 0:
    print("{} keywords left to guess".format(len(all_kw)))
    guess = input("What is your guess? (q to quit): ")
    if guess == 'q':
        print("You gave up!")
        print("Unguessed: ", all_kw)
        print("Guessed: ", found)
        break
    if guess in all_kw:
        print("Yes, that's one of them")
        all_kw.remove(guess)
        found.append(guess)
    elif guess in found:
        print("You got that one already")
        print("Found:", found)
    else:
        print("{} is not a keyword in Python.".format(guess))
else:
    print("Congratulations; you got them all!")