[Edu-sig] Doing Math with Python at PyCon Education Seminar

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 14:33:35 EDT 2016

Great talk Amit!

You were great dealing with an overtaxed kernel under time pressure, and
really moved through a lot of substantive material, not wasting any time at
all.

Here's a screen shot exhibit of me tweeting to followers about your talk
just now, with a link both to Youtube and back to here, this edu-sig
archives:

https://flic.kr/p/Km1ZZ7

"Math is an endless source of things to program and programming in itself
is a useful skill-building activity" is my soft sell.

The hard sell being "programming opens more doors into mathematics than
other media, and aids the imagination more directly".

Especially true when we add such as Pi3D and VPython, along with ray
tracing (e.g. POV-ray [1]) to graphical equation plotting, thereby getting
into Mandelbulb territory (a kind of 3D Mandelbrot).

The graphical and the lexical blend together.  Python helps us make "math
cartoons" (that's not the only thing it does, but I've found it helpful in
getting me there).

Also good job showing off MathJax rendering mathematics with beautiful
typography, in a way many self-respecting mathematicians hope to see it. [2]

Kirby

[1] http://4dsolutions.net/ocn/numeracy0.html

[2]
http://jupyter-notebook.readthedocs.io/en/latest/examples/Notebook/Typesetting%20Equations.html