[Edu-sig] mixed messages about math...

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 16:46:00 EDT 2016

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 2:10 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was just drafting another blog post for CERM Academy,
> which manages streams of thought pieces going out to
> subscribers, then warehoused in a WordPress site. [1]

Update Aug 9:

Here's a link to the article I ended up publishing, not through
CERM as it turns out (Greg thought it maybe too specialized
to a specific readership) but in a more "find its own way"
environment:

https://twitter.com/4DsolutionsPDX/status/762797526802059264

(a tweet that goes to my essay 'The Plight of High School
Math Teachers', if curious).

<< SNIP >>

[1]  http://cermacademy.com/

Down at the moment, Greg expects it up and running in 24 hours.

The code school featured by Greg's daughter Margaux for
WorkingIT.com held it's Monday Night Flying Circus again
last night:

http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2016/08/at-circus.html

[

Here are some thumbnail profiles of <guild /> personnel, by
Margaux, Greg's daughter:

http://workingit.com/blog/category/thought-leadership/

Introduces the director and her two daughters, a few years
older than Margaux

]

I like that we're eclectic, devoting whole evenings to JavaScript
as much as Python.  It's the synergies in this ecosystem that
give us leverage, whereas "Python in a bottle" (no discussion
of context) is too "night in a museum" right?

Pays to "play well with others" (for real).

If in Portland, swing by...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kirbyurner/albums/72157664766721643
(2626 SW Corbett)

and also visit Portland Python User Group @ Urban Airship,
interesting building in SW Portland:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kirbyurner/albums/72157655578412223

(ironically none of the buildings depicted, but still good for context)