[Edu-sig] Fwd: more PR for the __ribs__ mnemonic vis-a-vis "special names"

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 19:02:29 CEST 2015

Below: some followup from Google Plus, to my little videos.  Joe Snyder is
a retired veterinarian and fellow Friend (Quaker) whom I see at our Meeting
("church") sometimes.

Here's a blog post with all three videos, for anyone interested:
http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2015/10/pythons-ribs-special-names.html

Also, I've been promoting edu-sig on python-cuba-wg, the connection being
somewhat tenuous:  when I held a competition around Python and generating
Pi to a thousand places, way back in 2011, a student at University of
Havana won.

Now here we are in 2015, revisiting yet another way to converge to Pi,
thanks to this generator we talked about last month.

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-cuba/2015-October/000124.html

Kirby

================

Joe Snyder
Yesterday 1:51 PM

So nice pictures, but I'm clueless about the lesson.  Thanks for trying.
Curious that after your presentation, it wants to show me a lot of yucky
videos of various large snakes attacking and eating things.  Hmmmm

Kirby Urner
8:14 AM

Yeah, Youtube tends to be sensationalist around snakes.  The computer
language was named for Monty Python (which was named for?).

However, as shown, I take good advantage of snake anatomy by inventing
__ribs__ as terminology for what in the language we call "special name"
(they have this underline thing going, two __ on each side).

The three videos, each < 5 mins, form a triptych.  Maybe enlightenment will
come somewhere in the middle. :-D

https://youtu.be/lwDfvdUxuQc (special names)
https://youtu.be/nOzMG-cPWnc  (giving birth)
https://youtu.be/9pxshtSJI8E  (touching on inheritance)

More depth:
http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2015/10/integrated-learning.html

Great to have an animal vet check my presentation on Python __ribs__,
couldn't ask for a better form of peer review, even if it's hard to make
head or tail, coming into it cold.

(I was asked to audition by a commercial training provider: "Don't
over-think it, type and talk at the same time, no editing".  Having done
one, I couldn't resist tying off some loose ends).