[Edu-sig] Research on best language to use for teaching beginners

David Handy david at handysoftware.com
Fri Oct 2 16:02:32 CEST 2015

On Thursday, October 1, 2015 4:50pm, "Andre Roberge" <andre.roberge at gmail.com> said:

The best keywords (combining result from the two groups) are thought to include: repeat, again, loop, cycle
The worst keywords are thought to include: foreach, while, echo, duplicate, for .... with "for" getting the worst result of all.Now that you mention it, I have hazy memories from > 30 years ago, when I was learning BASIC, of puzzling over the meaning of the FOR keyword and wondering why they chose that word. So I'm not surprised to see that on the list of difficult keywords.
However, the WHILE keyword in BASIC was intuitive for me. So it surprises me to see that on their list of bad keywords.
David H